Wednesday 18 July 2012

Travel Log: Osaka

If you were paying attention to my Instagram channel last weekend, you would know that I spent the long weekend in Osaka. I think I've found my new favourite city! I had been to Osaka once five years ago on a day trip from Kyoto during a long vacation in Japan but didn't think much of it at the time. But actually staying in Osaka and experiencing its amazing neon shopping arcades by night changed that perspective pretty quickly. Osaka is home to some amazing cuisine and some really laid back people. The Japanese way is the conservative way but as it was stinking hot, I noticed Osakans everywhere were adorning lighter and more risqué apparel than I was used to. And I loved it! It was like being back in Aus! Find out more of what I got up to after the jump... But be warned, this is going to be a long post!


Up first on Saturday was the Osaka Aquarium and its impressive shark tank!



Love at the Aquarium...



Japan's got crabs!



Jellies...



This ferris wheel next to the Aquarium claims to be one of the largest in the world. The view was pretty awesome too!



Twisting alleyways in Namba, Osaka...



I found this plastic food shop in Sennichimae Doguyasuji Shopping Arcade, a popular place for local restaurants to purchase kitchen supplies and the like:



The elevator ride over a gaping hole in Umeda Sky Building...


Twilight at Umeda Sky Building...



More beautiful views from Umeda Sky Building (its definitely a great place to visit at sunset)...



Sunday morning visit to Osaka Castle...



The tram to Sumiyoshi Taisha!



Sumiyoshi Taisha is one of Japan's oldest shrines (3rd century) and one of few shrines displaying a purely Japanese shrine architecture prototype before the influx of Buddhist architecture from the Asian mainland changed the way Japan built its shrines.



Street scene in Tennoji district...



America Town (literally, アメリカ村) where you can satisfy all your American street-wear needs (or at least a Japanese idea was what America is)...



If you go to Osaka, you've got to try locally made takoyaki (octopus balls, and get your mind out of the gutter; its not what it sounds like!):



As the sun goes down, the neon comes out in Senichimae Shopping Arcade...



Oversized mascots affixed to the shopping arcade walls welcomed diners into the restaurant below...



They say Tokyo is the neon capital of the world. Well, Osaka's Dotombori area is like Tokyo on steroids. The shopping arcades were an epileptic's worst nightmare!



So that was my trip to Osaka! You can follow me on Instagram by searching for @AussieOnTheIzu. Stay tuned tomorrow for a post about last Monday's day-trip to Nara! Happy Hump Day!

8 comments:

  1. the Osaka Aquarium is highly raved though I've never been there. (Sea creatures aren't really my thing.) I love hanging around Namba area because the atmosphere is so crazy all the time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Namba is probably the best place to stay in Osaka. The shopping arcades are insane!

      Delete
  2. Osaka is one of my favourite cities in Japan with amazing food and friendly relaxed people. They do remind me of Aussies :) Looks like you visited a lot of my favourite places as well. I can't wait to head back there again soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Osaka is a new favourite of mine too! Thank you for commenting (as always) ;D

      Delete
  3. Fabulous photos! Takes me right back to my trips there... :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Every trip to Japan means at least 1 or 2 weeks in Osaka. I take a folding bicycle with me now and get to travel all the backstreets and to out of town locations. Osaka rules, everything about it is just right, I'm an old aussie who loves Japan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel like Osaka is the kind of place where Aussies would feel at home and more comfortable. Thanks for dropping by!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...