Friday 1 June 2012

T.G.I.F.: Takigi O-Noh (Bonfire Noh performance), Kyoto

Heading into June, it's going to become increasingly difficult to locate festivals and events happening on the weekend. June is the rainy season in Japan so fewer organizations are willing to schedule events during this time. Personally, I'm hoping for a similar rainy season to last year's lackluster performance so maybe June will actually turn out to be quite enjoyable.

This June 1st and 2nd is the Takigi O-Noh (Bonfire Noh performance) in Kyoto. Performed at the famous Heian Jingu Shrine under the cloak of night's darkness, this performance makes use of elaborate costumes and masks to convey emotion rather than the actor's own facial expressions. So, if you're in Kyoto, check it out! Click the image below for more information...



On a side note, this weekend is my school's cultural festival, which means two things: 1) this is my second school festival in Japan,  and 2) I can lookforward to a 9-day week because the sports festival follows immediately on Tuesday. When I first heard I would be working for 9 days in a row, I didn't even bat an eyelid. I think its interesting how I've been living here long enough that when something like this happens, I just think to myself "Meh. Its Japan."


What are you doing this weekend?


3 comments:

  1. This weekend is the Tokasan festival in Hiroshima. It marks the beginning of the summer season when people are supposed to start wearing their summer kimonos. There'll be loads of stalls selling yummy foods and odds and ends. Not to mention people dressed up all lovely like. My first proper festival in Japan :) Excited!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds like fun! Can't wait for summer kimono/festival season myself!

      Delete
  2. July / August is the big time for the summer festivals in Gifu.

    Japan Australia

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...